Monday, November 3, 2008

Why Women End up Alone

Did you know that if you and your male spouse are the same age you have 93% chance to out live him. And do you know that you will out live him by 13 years. This statistic has been sitting on my mind since I first heard it 3 years ago. I look at myself, my Mother and numerous friends and wonder what it will look like. And the alarming thing is how we all live our lives every day without planning for that. I once heard the statement, "men are not a financial plan". OK I get that. But what do we do about it? I also ask myself about the emotional as well as the physical aspect of that outcome. Do we have the emotional support group we need when this happens? Where are we going to live? Are we going to live alone? Is that financially feasible? What I do know after visiting countless senior housing facilities, women out number men in the later years of life 10 to 1. I have great vision as to what is possible. However this has to be done with our input as women and the sooner the better. I would love to hear your thoughts. Please don't be shy.

No comments: