Friday, October 31, 2008

Lady in the Park

The other evening I was at happy hour with some friends having a glass of wine (well OK it ended up to be several). A new woman walked in and joined us. She came to the table with a sigh of relief from what obviously was a crazy day. She proceeded to tell us about a lady she met in the park. She had seen this women two previous times and this woman had seemed to want to talk to her. She was a pleasant women with a nice smile but with a deep sadness in her eyes. She explained that she was afraid to speak to the woman of fear of opening a can of worms. Today the can had opened. The woman proceeded to cry and admit to her husband leaving her for a much younger woman. As she continued telling the story I started to drift. I had done the same thing over the years. I had stood where another women was standing and I did not offer to help. Even when my heart was telling me differently. Over the years I had experienced women who had stood where I was standing I deliberately did not help. Why was this? Why do woman not help other women. Is it that we do not have time? Is it a competitive thing with our children? Or worse yet our significant others? Then my thoughts went to the presidential campaign (hard not to these days). Would Hilary have been nominated if more women along her journey had offered a hand for her to reach for? Did she really have to marry someone who would become President to get up the ladder? My heart felt pain. I think that if she had had more support from her fellow sisters she would possible be running for President. If anything you can be sure she would be in a different place. I turned to the group and asked them if there is anything we can do collectively to help our fellow women? That evening "Messages for Women" was born. On my drive home the voice in my head said, "what are you waiting for?". There is a woman waiting in the park for your hand.

No comments: