Monday, August 2, 2010

Make a Mess a Message and Then Become the Messenger

I had the opportunity of a lifetime this past weekend. A dear friend of mine, Manna Ko organized an event to bring together people she wants to help succeed with friends of hers that have reached success. Manna is the most giving sincere loving person I know. She charged $25 for the 2 and a half day seminar. The event was held at a Westin hotel and obviously was a large financial investment on her part. But she was convinced that this was her calling and did not want it to be about money. Manna’s sphere includes a variety of successful people who are giving and loving like her. The seminar was filled with some of these friends that spoke to the group for nothing other then to give us the gift of their wisdom. These are folks that have succeeded beyond what most of us can comprehend (a couple you would recognize). The interesting thing is there was no ego or intimidating energy. Every one of them was convinced that they are no different then anyone in the audience. I have never been to a seminar and felt that the speaker believed in me more then I believe in myself. It was so authentic and so pure. The only explanation I can come up with is that is was a gift from God.

When times are tough people have to share and help each other. I left motivated to give back where ever I can. It reminded me that I have to get out of the victim mode and refocus on my vision to help people as Manna and her friends are doing. Thanks you so much Manna.

In my previous blog entry I wrote about my current challenges with helping my daughter heal from an eating disorder. In the midst of the pain I could not understand how my daughter got into this mess and what my role was in it. During the seminar Manna made a comment that spoke directly to me. She said, “We all get in a mess from time to time and the key is to make the mess into a message and be the messenger”. Reflecting back on the weekend trying to put my head around all the new information that I received the one question that I kept asking myself is why did I not bring my daughter? Clearly the seminar would have touched her heart and given her confidence like it did me. How can I get this information to teenage girls? Teenage girls are bombarded with messages that they are not thin enough and that deathly thin is beautiful. How can I get them to see there is amazing beauty and power within? I am committed to doing what Manna suggested, defining a message and becoming the messenger to teenage girls. The message will help them understand the importance of loving themselves as they are and how nutritional balance can play a role in becoming a powerful self confident young woman that has a future with endless possibilities.

No comments: